HERPES SIMPLEX TYPE1 IDENTIFICATION

Ian Carter i.carter at unsw.edu.au
Thu Jan 18 21:05:01 EST 1996

Has anyone out there had this problem?

Recent viral isolate (from an eye swab from patient with ? 'VZV
opthalmicis', in human embryonic lung fibroblast cells could not be
identified with our routine DFA test (Syva Microtrak #8H494UL.3E,
HSV1/HSV2 direct specimen identification/typing test. Looked
'kind-of-like' herpes CPE but on repassaging it could not be ID'ed!
So we tested the isolate with the Baxter Diagnostics reagents #B1029-44
and with this reagent it 'is' HSV type 1, repeatedly!!

Has any other laboratory encountered a similar 'problem' with respect to
Syva, Bartels and herpes simplex isolates?

Thanks for any help
Cheers  (:-|)
--
Ian Carter