Question-Hanta Virus Status

d hayman hayman at mcn.net
Thu Jan 18 16:55:13 EST 1996

I am interested in learning of the current status and epidemiology
of the hanta virus.  My area had two fatalities several years ago
but there have been no subsequent re-occurences.

Is there any evidence suggesting the agent is restricted to warmer areas?

Could the virus, after initial introduction, have failed to establish a long term
reservior or perhaps was unable to maintain the reservior?  I realize of course
that several years without disease is not evidence of either conjecture.

Our area,(northern Montana plains) has a significant amount of grain milling,
and it was my feeling that the virus originally arrived from infected mice via
rail and the grain shipments. Subsequent CDC investigation relating to the fatalities
was inconclusive, at least that which was reported to the public.  One of the
fatalities was an employee of a mill.  The investigation did establish the virus
occurring in local mouse populations, though I do not recall
the tests used to confirm the isolation.

Thankyou for sources and/or information.