A thermodynamic approach to the virus as organism debate.

Bob Lansman lansman at VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU
Fri Jan 19 11:46:33 EST 1996

        I have been very reluctant to enter this debate which brings out the
dogmatist in all of us.  I think, though, it might be helpful to describe a
living cell as the simplest existing structure which decreases entropy
internally by extracting and degrading energy from its environment.  Viruses
depend on living cells to accomplish that task for them and in that sense,
we may be able to distinguish them from living cells.
                        "If evolution becomes illegal only criminals will
evolve"