Question-Hanta Virus Status

EdRegis edregis at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 11:03:14 EST 1996

d hayman writes re hantavirus:

>Is there any evidence suggesting the agent is restricted to warmer areas?

I'm not an epidemiologist, but I don't thinlk there's any evidence to that
effect.  The Four Corners area, where HPS (Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome)
broke out in 1993, is cold as hell in the winter.  The northernmost case I
know of was in North Dakota in 1993.  That said, it does seem to break out
more often during the summer months.

For the No. Dakota case see: "Hantavirus-Associated Illness-North Dakota,
1993" Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (CDC) 1993, 42:707.  Also see
"Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, " MMWR 1993; 42: 816-20.

Ed
edregis at aol.com