The return to The Hot Zone

charles mccarthy pandoc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 22 06:49:15 EST 1996

In <m0teJJL-00056JC at uctmail2.uct.ac.za> ED at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA ("Ed
Rybicki") writes:

[edit]
>They are NOT trying to 'break out" of anywhere, any more than
>influenza viruses deliberately and maliciously mutate their
>haemagglutinins in order to infect people who have been infected with
>flu previously.  What happens is that primates and humans intrude on
>a natural cycle of transmission between as yet undiscovered natural
>hosts of the virus, and get seriously sick.  But, as I have pointed
>out elsewhere, if in a city of over 400 000 people, only 400 or so
>were affected, in the worst pssible scenario short of inoculating the
>virus into Bombay or Calcutta beggars....where is the problem?
>
>                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
>      Dept Microbiology     |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
>   University of Cape Town  | phone: x27-21-650-3265
>   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  fax: x27-21-650 4023
>      7700, South Africa    |
>    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html
>
>"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"

I'm jumping in the middle of this thread, so forgive me if I'm missing the
point, if any.

I don't know, Ed, maybe "shit happens" is a better explanation for the simple
phenomena of biochemicals and macromolecules seeking thermodynamically
advantageous positions in life.  People "intruding" seems equivocal
with "break out" of viral particles.

Charles P. McCarthy
Healthcare Consulting and
   Medical Research