Herpes & HIV infection relationship

cristeaj at pt.cyanamid.com cristeaj at pt.cyanamid.com
Tue Jan 23 12:25:36 EST 1996

I would like to ask a question for a friend of mine (really, its not me).  He
contracted herpes from a woman and now thinks that he probably also contracted
the HIV virus.  I have tried to tell him that they are very different in terms
of transmission.

I need to find out how likely it is that he could have also contracted HIV from
this experience.  Would it not be the same as a man who had intercourse with a
woman who was HIV+ but DID NOT have herpes?  I feel that since the woman he
had intercourse with was not identified as HIV+ and the fact that he had no
noticible injuries to the exposed area during this encounter, that he is at
low risk of having contracted HIV.

I am hoping someone could shed some light on this situation.  If you can help
me locate any literature on this subject or herpes in general, I would greatly
appreciate it.  It may be easier for me if you respond directly to my E-mail
address.

Thank you...  Jim    <CRISTEAJ at pt.cyanamid.com>