Denge fever in Arizona??

Mark A. Shelly mshelly at troi.cc.rochester.edu
Wed Jan 24 22:35:51 EST 1996

In <4dsirt$ao1$3 at mhafc.production.compuserve.com> Sharyl-Druid <73654.3446 at CompuServe.COM> writes:

>I have a friend who lives near Sells, Arizona and she told me
>that there is an outbreak of Denge fever in the area. She said
>it is transmitted by mosquitoes. I have heard nothing about this
>from the news media... but then, I am up here in Canada. So....
>since I plan to visit this area next month, I would certainly
>like to know more. Anybody know about this outbreak? And what
>are the symptoms and therapy/cure... and, is it fatal?

Haven't heard of an outbreak, though it could happen.
Use a mosquito repellant like Ultrathon (3M), which is sustained release, if
you are worried.
Dengue causes fever and achiness, which may last a month. Rarely there is a
rash. In rare situations (related to the immunology of the virus) there is
a hemorrhagic (bleeding) disorder that can be fatal. This almost never
happens the first time you are infected, so for practical purposes it is
not fatal.

Enjoy your visit go Arizona.

Hope this helps,
Mark Shelly, MD
Infectious Diseases, Highland Hospital of Rochester
mshelly at medicine.rochester.edu