Ebola followup NEW!

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Tue Jan 30 09:37:51 EST 1996

In article <hasse-2901962357370001 at hasse.dialup.access.net>,
Hans Andersson <hasse at panix.com> quoted:
>Ebola, like other RNA viruses, has an error-prone replication process,
>which would boost the frequenzy of mutations and thus the emergence of new
>strains. Sanchez says that the high mutation rate increases the chance
>that the disease could someday adapt a more contagious form."

Which is equally true for *every other RNA virus around*, of course, and
there are thousands - hundreds of thousands or millions - of them.
Including such things as influenza virus, which killed, 20,000,000 (that's
twenty million) people in one winter (European Journal of Epidemiology.
10(4):455-8, 1994); but of course that's not an Exciting
New Virus that kills people in Excitingly Photgenic Ways, is it, so we
won't worry about that at all.

Come on, Hans, think a little, would you?

Ian

--
                      Ian York   (iayork at panix.com)