Ebola threat?

Ray Baumann yar at umsmed.edu
Wed Jan 31 11:46:38 EST 1996

Threat assessment is difficult even with the best data and statistics.  It
is even more difficult for situations involving the "horror factor", like
Ebola.  Even the most objective scientist or journalist can be biased by
sensationalism. While individuals far removed from the actual threat debate
the risk of Ebola, the citizens of Zaire live with it every day. I would be
curious to see how they would rank the threat of Ebola in their lives
compared to other risks. Frankly, I am still waiting for the swine flu
epidemic. Don't tell me that this was exaggerated.
Ray Baumann, Ph.D.
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Department of Microbiology
2500 North State St.
Jackson MS, 39216
fax: 601-984-1708