Ebola Followup/ Ebola Airborne?

AlW1 alw1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 31 08:34:48 EST 1996

Small point - there have been people infected with rabies who were
exploring caves where lots of bats live. I believe the thought is that the
virus was spread via droplets onto the mucus membranes of the explorers or
inhaled into their respiratory tracts.

There was also a non-vaccinated dog that contracted rabies at the CDC (in
1995 I believe) after going into a run that had housed a dog with rabies.
This is also a case of rabies being spread via fomites into the recipient
- perhaps into mouth?

Point: rabies can be spread without direct contact with the infected
animal.