Moss and new hr vaccinia/T7

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu Jul 18 16:04:32 EST 1996

I hope someone can save me a bit of time.

The other day I noticed an article from Bernard Moss's lab: they'd
modified their vaccinia/T7 system by swapping the vaccinia hr gene for
the cowpox one; the resulting hybrid could replicate in a broader
(cowpox-like) range of cells, including CHO cells and some others.

I noted it at the time, thinking it might at some future point be useful,
but I didn't copy it and can't remember whch journal it was in.  I
realized today that it could be very useful.

(1)  Anyone else see it?  Can you save me from rooting around through all
the possible journals it could have been?

(2)  Anyone know if the cowpox hr gene would enable the virus to grow in
(i) mouse cells in general, (ii) mouse lymphoid cell lines?

Thanks for any pointers.

Ian