Non-replicating toxicity assay

Mr Nicholas Moody nicholas.moody at
Tue Jun 18 23:23:28 EST 1996

I am looking at the effect of an ultraviolet iradiated iridovirus on
cell culture. The UV irradiated virus does not produce replicating CPE
after inoculation, however, when the cells are inoculated at a
relatively high MOI (equivalent to 1 - 5 infectious particles per
cell) the cells lift of the culture flask.This effect is totally
different to replicating CPE and is dose-dependent. Staining with 0.4%
trypan blue (final concentration) to detect dead cells was not

Does anyone know of an alternative to trypan blue staining or any
other way I might be able to quantify this effect.

Nick Moody
Biomedical and Tropical Veterinary Sciences
James Cook University
Townsville 4810

Tel: +61 077 81 4631
Fax: +61 077 79 6371