Adenovirus pneumonia

john berens jberens at medmicro.uct.ac.za
Thu Jun 20 07:24:48 EST 1996

Does anyone know:

1.  Whether adenovirus causing pneumonia can be excreted in faeces to a
	significant extent, including after the acute infection?

2.  Whether faecal adenovirus  can be transmitted in a hospital situation
	and cause hospital-acquired pneumonia?

A number of strains of adenovirus can be excreted in faeces, and are
clearly infectious, but I cannot find a reference to this being
associated with outbreaks of hospital-acquired pneumonia.  The strain
usually implicated in outbreaks of pneumonia in our population is
adenovirus 7.

I would appreciate comment and / or references.

john berens