Ebola Question

Chris Kenedi ckenedi at acad.umass.edu
Wed Mar 6 12:06:14 EST 1996

ClarenceTam wrote:

> Matt Festa <blueboy at primenet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone out there know exactly how many seperate outbreaks of Ebola
> > there have been since it first arose?  I can only think of 5 or 6.
>
> That's a pretty good estimate, I think. When it first appeared in 1976
> I believe there were two simultaneous outbreaks in Zaire and Sudan.
> Another outbreak occurred in Sudan in 1979. Ebola Reston, affecting only
> monkeys appeared in 1990 (?). Last year Ebola Zaire re-emerged and there's
> been a recent outbreak in Gabon in the last month. (Plus one case in
> the Ivory Coast last December.
>
> OB1

Ebola like all the filoviruses are not "new" diseases.  They have
probably been around for hundreds of years, if not since the dawn of
homo sapiens.  The outbreaks which have recieved recent media
attention are more reflective of the changing nature of
communications and the expansion of our awareness rather then the
emergence of a new disease.

The resovior is totally unkown despite considerable effort, and even
the carrier is only suspected.

Chris Kenedi