Moderation needed.

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Sun Mar 10 16:04:50 EST 1996

> Regarding this moderation question, I come down on the yes side.  If it
> were re-advertised as moderated at upcoming virology conferences I
> believe we would get more participation from more "professional
> virologists" and it could become quite useful.  It's not too useful now
> and though I don't find the layperson or casually interested particularly
> offensive or obtrusive, moderation might very well bring in a new crowd
> who does in fact seem perturbed by the "weirdness".  It's worth a
> concerted effort I think.  How much trouble would it be to have a
> "rotating" group of say 2-4 moderators.  I'd volunteer under those
> conditions.
>
> Michael L. Perdue, Ph.D.
> Athens, Georgia  30605
> Ph: 706-546-3435
> Fx: 706-546-3161
> mperdue at asrr.arsusda.gov

We can set our software up to allow multiple moderators.  Someone
should be listed as the lead moderator and this also means that the
group has to coordinate carefully among themselves and us so that
messages don't fall between the cracks when the baton is passed.  We
can set things up so that all moderators get all messages and you
decide where the break is made, or we can very easily reroute the
message flow to just a single individual at a time.  This means that
nothing would fall through the cracks as long as the next moderator in
line is clear that it is his/her turn.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager