Moderation needed.

BIOSCI Administrator biohelp at net.bio.net
Fri Mar 15 03:11:30 EST 1996

The problem with trying to eliminate crosspostings is that USENET is a
decentralized system.  Somebody on machine X decides to put 15
newsgroups on the Newsgroups: header in their message and then sends
the message out.  It does not usually come straight to net.bio.net but
branches out in several directions.  How does one eliminate the
crosspostings then?  We can protect the mailing lists which are
localized here at net.bio.net and daresbury.ac.uk, but can not do much
to stop intrusions from USENET.  This is why moderation is really the
main solution here.

It looks like most comments favor moderation although one point was
raised that a separate group bionet.virology.moderated could be
created.  Frankly, however, it has not been the charter of the bionet
domain to cater to lay postings; those kind of discussions can go on
in the sci portion of USENET.  The charter of bionet.virology was for
research use, not discussions among the public about Ebola scares.

I've received a few offers to assist in moderating the group including
a post that it could be a group effort.  I'd appreciate it if someone
would post a message to the group offering to be the lead moderator
and get names of perhaps two other assistants.  The lead moderator
should then send us the names of the moderation team to
biosci-help at net.bio.net and we'll get this show on the road.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager