BSE questions

R Shaw amtrs at sun.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 12:09:57 EST 1996

Joao Vasconcelos Costa wrote:

> John Brooks wrote:
> >
> > -       are cattle susceptible to BSE infection due to the
> > inability of their digestive systems to digest proteins? IOW, do
> > complete proteins 'leak out' into the blood stream as such, rather
> > than being disassembled into amino acids first?
>
> The same happens to many viruses that can penetrate the digestive
> mucosa without being destroyed by the digestive enzymes.

 I understand that the smell receptors in the nose are bare nerve
endings. Could infection occur if prions landed on them.
 Abbatoir workers, who breath in infected particle, apparently
are slightly more vulnerable to CJD. Cats have wet noses and
often get food on them. In dry weather the cows food will produce
infected dust.

 Is this transmission route plausible. Has it been considered
or rejected. It sound simpler than the stomach to me but I have
no medical ezpertise.