BSE questions

Nigel Smith ns10005 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 11:43:12 EST 1996

In article <3158F2A2.66FE at pen.gulbenkian.pt>, jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt wrote:

> > And how about vicars, the most professional group most susceptible to CJD
> > in this country?
> >
> Are you joking? I never heard about this. I wonder how a correlation
> between CJD and so many possible professional groups can be established
> for such a rare disease. Whta is the statistical confidence?

A much-mentioned statistic - most recently spotted in yesterday's
(Tuesday's) Guardian newspaper, but originating with the Department of
Health. I would rate the statistical confidence as very low - as I would
with *any* statistics for a rare disease.

But it's a good spanner to throw into theories such as "Since farmers and
abattoir workers have a higher-than-usual incidence of CJD..."

   Nigel