sedimentation at 1g...

Ed Rybicki ED at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Wed Mar 27 10:04:15 EST 1996

> From:          mperdue at asrr.arsusda.gov ("Michael L. Perdue")
> Subject:       Re: sedimentation at 1g...
>
> On 27 Mar 1996, Ed Rybicki wrote:
> > I have just seen the results of centrifuging a TMV-U2 and a BSMV
> > preparation at 1g for 26 yrs and 11 yrs, respectively...the viruses
> > SEDIMENTED!!  There was a beautiful gradient in both cases, of
> Sounds like an intriguing new approach.  Would that be a rate-zonal or an
> equilibrium gradient and what was the radius of your rotor?

Equilibrium (=velocity) centrifugation equivalent, in which case
radius of rotor = 1 Terran standard radius.  Or simply provide 1
Terran standard mass in close proximity (gravity sedimentation).

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | phone: x27-21-650-3265
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  fax: x27-21-650 4023
      7700, South Africa    |
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"