sedimentation at 1g...

Michael L. Perdue mperdue at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Wed Mar 27 09:08:12 EST 1996

On 27 Mar 1996, Ed Rybicki wrote:

> I have just seen the results of centrifuging a TMV-U2 and a BSMV
> preparation at 1g for 26 yrs and 11 yrs, respectively...the viruses
> SEDIMENTED!!  There was a beautiful gradient in both cases, of
> uncontaminated and not-obviously-aggregated virus, from crystal clear
> ant the top of a 100 ml medical flat bottle, to thick and milky at
> the bottom - with most of the stuff at the bottom.  I am keeping one
> BSMV bottle untouched; we shook up the rest in the interests of
> scientific inquiry (we were clearing out a coldroom in preparation
> for Barbara von Wechmar's retirement at the end of the year).  BMV
> preparations left the same length of time (spherical, 30 nm, +/-100S)
> are uniformly suspended still - but rod-shaped chaps of 150-300 nm
> and +/-200S sediment beautifully.
>
> A bit long to wait to concentrate virus tho...but so ELEGANT.
>
>                      Ed Rybicki, PhD
>       Dept Microbiology     |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
>    University of Cape Town  | phone: x27-21-650-3265
>    Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  fax: x27-21-650 4023
>       7700, South Africa    |
>     WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html
>
> "And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"

Ed,

Sounds like an intriguing new approach.  Would that be a rate-zonal or an
equilibrium gradient and what was the radius of your rotor?

Mike Perdue
USDA, Southeast Poultry Research Lab
934 College Station Road
Athens, GA 30605