BSE questions

R Shaw amtrs at sun.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 05:56:20 EST 1996

Nigel Smith wrote:

> In article <3156D362.41C67EA6 at sun.leeds.ac.uk>, amtrs at sun.leeds.ac.uk
> (R Shaw) wrote:
>
> About transmission of BSE:
>
> >  I understand that the smell receptors in the nose are bare nerve
> > endings. Could infection occur if prions landed on them.
> >  Abbatoir workers, who breath in infected particle, apparently
> > are slightly more vulnerable to CJD.
>
> And how about vicars, the most professional group most susceptible
> to CJD in this country?
>
>       Nigel
>
>       (still waiting for evidence that BSE and CJD are any more than
> similar-but-different)

 I am not suggesting this is the major route of infection in
humans; most of us don't stick ours noses in our food, just
wondering if it was possible.
 If so, then even if BSE can cause CJD in humans, we would be
less vulnerable than other animals. Only 70 cats have had
a SE and the rate is falling rapidly, though they probably
eat much more offal, so this would make the current health
scare even less justified.