VIRUS REPLICATION

MC31411 at swt.edu MC31411 at swt.edu
Sun Mar 31 19:12:37 EST 1996

HELLO
  WE KNOW THAT VIRUSES REPLICATE BY INTERFERING WITH THE CELL'S
REPLICATION OF GENETIC MATERIAL AND TAKING OVER THE SYSTEM.

ALSO, WE KNOW THAT MITOCHONDRIA CAN REPLICATE INDEPENDENTLY FROM THE CELL
AND THAT THEY CONTAIN THEIR OWN DNA.

MY QUESTIONS ARE THE FOLLOWING:

 >DO MITOCHONDRIA HAVE A SYSTEM THAT CAN REPLICATE ITS OWN DNA?
 IF YES,
 >IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A VIRUS TO ENTER A MITOCHONDRIA AND REPRODUCE OR
 HAS ANY BODY ATTEMPTED TO DO THIS EXPERIMENT?

 >ARE THERE ANY WAYS THAT RESEARCHERS CAN "INJECT" A VIRUS INTO A
 MITOCHONDRIUM?

 >IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE A VIRUS CONFUSE A MITOCONDRIUM WITH A CELL?

 THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES,

 MY NAME IS MARGARITO CRUZ, I AM ALMOST A SOPHOMORE AT
 SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY, IN SAN MARCOS TEXAS (BETWEEN AUSTIN AND SAN
 ANTONIO)  AND MY GOAL IS TO EARN A DEGREE IN MICROBIOLOGY AND HOPEFULLY
 ATTEND A GRADUATE SCHOOL.