*MEDLINE on the web*, this one FREE!

Rafael Maldonado rafael at corona.med.utah.edu
Tue May 14 22:04:04 EST 1996

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Mike Poidinger wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 1996 16:25:13 -0600, Rafael Maldonado
> <rafael at corona.med.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 8 May 1996, user wrote:
> >
> >> MEDLINE ON HEALTHWORKS ONLINE
> >[bullshit deleted]
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   Uncalled for.

Well, any commercial posting in BIONET.* is prohibited and "non gratus".
You will find this rule also valid for most of the Usenet newsgroups.
Read the BIONET FAQ before posting. You can consider visiting the
homepage in:

http://www.bio.net

For your information, here is the guidelines for commercial posting in
BIONET:

[start quote]

What are the restrictions on commercial activities in the BIOSCI/bionet
newsgroups?

BIOSCI is funded in part by the National Science Foundation (NSF) which
supports the Internet in the U.S. with U.S. taxpayer dollars. NSF is
responsible for
setting Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for the the NSFNet backbone section
of the Internet of which BIOSCI makes extensive use. Because of these
reasons,
BIOSCI users should adhere to the following guidelines.

Commercial activities on BIOSCI are in general prohibited except as noted
below. People at for-profit organizations are free to read all postings
made to the
BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups, but must ensure that their postings to the
newsgroups do not violate our guidelines.

Commercial organizations may post job openings on EMPLOYMENT/bionet.jobs
subject to the format restrictions for that group. Commercial job posting
format
restrictions for the EMPLOYMENT/bionet.jobs newsgroup are described above
under the question "Where should I post my messages?" Users who violate these
format restrictions consciously risk losing their network access.

BIOSCI readers without any financial connections to a company or a
product may discuss and/or post endorsements of a commercial product.
However, it is
standard Internet practice to include in the posting a disclaimer of any
financial interest in the product/company. Note that postings to
newsgroups are subject to
libel laws. BIOSCI advises readers to think twice before taking potshots
at products that they do not like.

BIOSCI users often post general questions about problems that might be
solved through the use of a commercial product. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT,
however, that such general questions not be answered by people affiliated
with the product or company that might stand to gain a sale as a result.
For example, user
X may ask, "Is there a product that will allow me to separate protein A
from protein B given the following properties ...?", but, if user Y works
at company Z which
sells a product that can accomplish this task, user Y does NOT have
permission to respond to the question. Responses can only be posted by
other scientists who
might have experience in solving the problem in question and who do not
stand to gain financially by promoting the product in question, i.e.,
they are not employees,
consultants, or connected to the company via other financial ties. As
noted above, postings endorsing commercial products should contain a
customary disclaimer
stating the absence of financial ties of the poster to the
product/company.

Commercial companies MAY RESPOND to a public BIOSCI newsgroup if a BIOSCI
user asks a question directly about one of their products, e.g., mentions it
by name. The response should be limited to a factual answer of the
question posed and should avoid any hint of advertising hype. Comparisons
with competitors'
products should be avoided completely.

Finally, as a general rule, if you are unsure about the appropriateness
of your posting, before you post anything please send a copy of what you
propose to post to
the BIOSCI adminstrator at biosci-help at net.bio.net for review.

BIOSCI will takes steps to terminate network access to any reader who
willfully violates our commercial use policies.

[end quote]

> Actually, the Entrez program, although free, in fact only has access
> to the Genetics subset of Medline (1.3 mil entries)  which is far from
> the full Medline database.

You got me!! Well, in the NML server you can have your own account. There
are also other databases free. Just... don't believe everything your read
in internet.

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |