Adenovirus types

Keith Leppard Keith.Leppard at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 12:17:21 EST 1996

tobin at ncifcrf.gov (Greg Tobin) wrote:

> I am looking for reference material that differentiates the various
> Types of Adenovirus (Primarily 4 and 7) on the basis of antigenicity.
> Such as Type-specific antigens.  Is there an adenovirologist out there
> who knows which proteins/genes convey type-specific antigenicity?
>
> thanks very much,
> Greg Tobin

Both the major capsid protein, hexon, and the fibre protein carry type-
specific epitopes. Equally, hexon also carries group specific epitopes
that cross-react across all human Ad serotypes. See Marshall Horowitz'
review in Fields et al (where else??!!) 3rd edn, chapter 68, p2151 and
refs therein.

Keith Leppard