academic position available

Bob Lansman lansman at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Tue Oct 15 10:46:18 EST 1996

The following is a slightly abridged version of an ad which my department
placed in the August 23, 96, issue of Science:

        The Department of Biology and Microbiology, University of Wisconsin
seeks applicants for an ASSISTANT PROFESSOR position in virology to betin 1
September 1997.  Ph.D. required; postdoctoral and teaching experience
desirable; share responsibility for introductory courses; develop a research
program; pursue extramural funding and supervise M.S. theses.  Teach
virology and share teaching responsibilities in related areas of
microbiology.  Send letter of application, C.V., 3 letters of recommendation
and official transcripts by 25 October, 1996 to: M.A. Rouf, Chair,
Department of Biology and Microbiology, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh,
Oshkosh, WI  54901.  The University of Wisconsin is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

        As a virologist and a member of the search committee for this
position, I would like to add a couple of personal observations.  First, we
are extraordinarily well equipped in the areas of cell culture, virus
containment, SEM, TEM, fluorescence microscopy and image analysis.  The
successful applicant would also have full access to our "BioSeparations Lab"
which houses a fluorescence imager, HPLC, gas chromatography, a new
ultracentrafuge with a variety of rotors, a DNA synthesizer and
sophisticated equipment for the detection and analysis of fluorescence.
        Second, I personally would like to encourage application from people
who can teach and wish to carry on research in the area of plant virology.
This would facilitate team teaching in our virology course and would also
help strengthen our growing research group in plant biology.
        A letter and a C.V. by October 25 will be sufficient to open an
application file.
                        Cheers, Bob Lansman