protein trimers

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Tue Sep 24 14:01:04 EST 1996

In article <51rvt8$ahq at net.bio.net>, evansj at ava.bcc.orst.edu (Jay Evans) wrote:

> I am looking for any information (refs) on DNA binding proteins that form
> trimers in solution or when bound to DNA (or RNA).  Any references or
> leads you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jay Evans
> evansj at bcc.orst.edu

HSSB also called Replication Protein A (RP-A) molecule is a heterotrimer
(i.e. composed of three subunits). This heterotrimer binds ssDNA in a
trimeric fashion (i.e., three RP-A molecules form a stable complex on
DNA). Check the recent papers by J. Borowiec about the DNA binding
mechanism of RP-A.
You would also like to check some ref. about DnaA protein of E.Coli
mechanism of DNA binding. It forms multimers in a cooperative manner by
binding DNA. Even if not trimers, the dynamics of these complexes are very
interesting. Check papers by W. Messer.
Hope it helps. G.Maga.