digestion of arterial wall tissue and extraction of viral DNA

Medisch Microbiologisch Laboratorium mmldiak at worldaccess.nl
Thu Aug 28 12:02:27 EST 1997

Can anyone inform us about or provide us with protocols about
digestion of tissue sections from blood vessels (i.e.arterial walls)
Lots of protocols and literature are available for many kinds of soft
tissue materials. Our problem is that arterial wall tissue is rigid
and therefore hard to digest. Subsequent extraction of viral DNA from
these tissues is cumbersome and probably inadequate.
Any protocols or suggestions to solve this problem are appreciated
very much.

Aim of our study is to detect viral DNA sequences (like CMV)  by PCR
in arterial walls of atherosclerotic patients with diabetes compared
to a control group of patients. Biopsies are obtained during vessel
operations.

John Bouwman
Dept. of Medical Microbiology
Diakonessen Hospital