Ebola: a quick question

Ed Rybicki ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri May 2 13:13:35 EST 1997

> From:          rivero at accessone.com (Michael Rivero)
> Subject:       Re: Ebola: a quick question

..
>  >	On the idea of eating infected wild game, the US troops do not
>  >eat such stuff.  They eat their MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat.)
>
>   I know the soldiers eat the MREs, but the refugees are eating everything
they
> can find. An outbreak among the refigees would transfer to the soldiers.

Really?  There are US troops in among the refugees in Zaire?  Why is
there still a problem there, then?  The reality is that while there
may be US troops IN THE REGION, they are either not in Zaire, or are
in Kinshasa in small numbers - and there are not any reports of
refugees in Kinshasa or neighbouring areas to the west, and all the
problem is in the east.  Where there are NO foreign troops who are
not mercenaries.  Or Rwandans.

And why should Ebola transfer to the troops?  It didn't transfer to
the medics and aid workers in Kikwit or in the original outbreak,
once it was understood what was happening.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time..."