viruses, evolution, and net traffic

Curtis Suttle suttle at
Mon Oct 13 18:06:39 EST 1997

The large dsDNA viruses Phycodnaviridae) that infect unicellular algae are
unusual in a number of respects, including the fact that they have genes
which are only found in eukaryotes, as well as prokaryotes. Entry into host
cells appears to be phage-like; that is they attach to the outside of the
host and inject the viral DNA. My guess is that the Phycodnaviridae will
turn out to be a group of viruses which infect a wide range of protists.

   |\             |___\__\            Email: suttle at ;
   | \            |_____OO\________        Curtis Suttle
    \ BOAT-Eh?      o o o o   || /         Univ of British Columbia
     \                        VV/          6270 University Blvd.

------------ Forwarded Message ends here ------------