EBV Paper

Greg blarney gblarney at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 14:46:23 EST 1998

Hi fellow Virologists, I saw a paper in Nov EMBO (Aiyar and Sugden)
that claims that EBV replication at the latent origin (OriP) can occur
with out the presence of EBNA1.  The claim is that viral factors such
as EBNA1 have no influence on formation latent intiation complexes
whatever.  I believe there are several problems with this paper that
make this hypothesis untenable.
1) The authors use a PCR method to assay replication which,
unfortuately, can generate false-positive signals.
2) There is no control to alleviate the possibility that the
replication signal is due to DNA repair or some other such mechanism.
**So far, I favoure the interpretation that these results could be
artifactuale.

Also, the authors do not show any evidence of whether EBNA1 influences
initiation site preference.  So, in fact, the conclusion of this paper
may not be correct.

I was curious if other people had an opinion about this paper.

Cheers

Greg Blarney
UX