Career in Virology

Tony L. Trinh tltrinh at learnlink.emory.edu
Sat Sep 26 19:25:06 EST 1998

Hi Adrien,
    My name is Tony and I'm currently at Emory University and my goal is
quite similar to yours.  How I got into this school is basically hard work
and an impressive background.  The best I can tell you is to do the best in
those classes.  Show that you do well in a certain thing and posses a drive
in it.  Determination is very important.  You may want to go to a school
that has a good Microbiology background.  I know that University of Miami
has a program for a Phd in Microbiology.  But you may want to consider the
opportunities around the University also.  This was why I went over here to
Emory University.  There are so many research facilities that you will
eventually be able to work at the CDC or Yerkes Primate Center.  Yerkes is
where I'm working now...but plan to go over to the CDC.  I'm starting out
and working with Level 2 infectious agents.  Emory is an excellent school
and it is the Ivy League of the South...then you have the Bigwigs of the
Eastern coast.  The choice is utimately up to you...so go out and visit
campuses and get a feel for the college...You will eventually know which
college you would like to attend.  I hope that I have helped you out.

G.K.