Gullain-Barre Syndrome

Kathalene Hague klhague at bellsouth.net
Tue May 4 13:21:48 EST 1999

I need information on this syndrome.  My father was recently diagnosed
with this disease and there isn't much information available.   I was
told this disease is caused by a virus that stimulates the immune system

to begin attacking the myelin sheathing of the nerves, causing a type of

short circuiting of the nervous system.  My father is 75 years old and I

am told a full recovery is unlikely, but he may regain some ability to
walk with the aid of braces and a walker.

 He received two units of blood approximately 60 days prior to the onset

of symptoms (the blood transfusions were for acute anemia resulting in
hospitalization).  His doctors  "cleaned" his blood by removing the red
cells, disposing of the plasma and replacing the plasma with albumin.

How is this disease most likely contracted?

Could the blood transfusions have introduced this virus into his system?

What is the most effective treatment?

I will be grateful for any assistance in the matter you may be able to
provide.