Gullain-Barre Syndrome

mathieu mathieu at gv.cnrs-gif.fr
Thu May 6 11:06:40 EST 1999

Kathalene Hague wrote:

> I need information on this syndrome.  My father was recently diagnosed
> with this disease and there isn't much information available.   I was
> told this disease is caused by a virus that stimulates the immune system
>
> to begin attacking the myelin sheathing of the nerves, causing a type of
>
> short circuiting of the nervous system.  My father is 75 years old and I
>
> am told a full recovery is unlikely, but he may regain some ability to
> walk with the aid of braces and a walker.

I am sorry to hear about your father getting the GBS. My mother had a very
strong attach of it two years ago, and she has yet some way to go before
complete recovery.

You can get information about GBS by trying :
    http://www.webmast.com/gbs/    GBS Foundation International
      http://www.gbs.org.uk/               GBS support group in the UK
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~gbs/mainindex.htm    (should be about the
same as above)

There is also a mailing list of people who have encountered the GBS,
GBS.etal at gbs.org and should be able to subscribe to it from one of the
sites above.

Magali