Tyson tyson at
Fri Nov 5 13:05:00 EST 1999

cht at gate <cht at> wrote in message
| it seems more prevalant in England than in other countries also consuming
| hormone treated and animal parts. What is it about England that is
| different.  I heard rumor it had to do with the Brits sex life. Could this
| be the vector from animals to mankind?

.....a few reasons why scrapie/BSE (ie thought to be caused by  PrP(s) ) is
prevalent in England & Western Europe:

1) it is endemic to Britain......originated in Spain in 19th c. & spread to
England & other parts of Western Europe

2) import controls & slaughtering programmes have virtually eliminated
outbreaks in the rest of the world (eg. N America, Australasia etc..)

3) some breeds of sheep/cattle are more  resistant than others...different
countries=different breeds

4) infected feed spreads the infectious agent(s) for the Englishman's sex life....what sex life?!