Unidentified virus from Australia's Northern Territory

Dean Fegredo dfegredo at bigpond.com
Mon Sep 13 10:54:02 EST 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BEFC72.B4E17BA0

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. We have received biopsy material =
and viral swabs of lesion fluid from a young boy in Outback Northern =
Australia. The lesion is a reoccuring painfull lesion on the elbow. This =
sample has produced a distinct CPE in VERO and Human Fibrobast (HF) cell =
lines. The CPE in HF cells is over the whole layer and starts in =
descreet patches. It looks like small rounded refactile cells within =
gaps of the monolayer. This has progressed to produce a large cell but =
not the typical giant cell appearance in some of the cells. The layer =
appears to be degrading with time but has slowed down as time =
progresses. This is from the primary culture. Passage into other HF =
tubes produce identical phenomenon.=20

The VERO culture produces a syncitial/toxic type appearance with small =
irregular shaped refactile cells throughout the layer in primary =
culture. The same phenomenon is present with continuous passage of =
fluid.=20

The primary cynomologous monkey kidney culture produces no observable =
CPE and does not haemadsorb with guinea pig erythrocytes.=20

We have tested the culture fluid from VERO and HF cells as well as the =
original sample for HSV, VZ, Adenovirus, Enterovirus, ORF, Molluscum by =
PCR with no results. We are about to perform EM to determine what virus =
may be present but any help in ID would be appreciated.

Please email me  at david.fegredo at health.wa.gov.au

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BEFC72.B4E17BA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I was wondering if anyone can help me. We have =
received biopsy=20
material and viral swabs of lesion fluid from a young boy in Outback =
Northern=20
Australia. The lesion is a reoccuring&nbsp;painfull lesion on the elbow. =
This=20
sample has produced a distinct CPE in VERO and Human Fibrobast (HF) cell =
lines.=20
The CPE in HF cells is over the whole layer and starts in descreet =
patches. It=20
looks like small rounded refactile cells within gaps of the monolayer. =
This has=20
progressed to produce a large cell but not the typical giant cell =
appearance in=20
some of the cells. The layer appears to be degrading with time but has =
slowed=20
down as time progresses. This is from the primary culture. Passage into =
other HF=20
tubes produce identical phenomenon. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The VERO culture produces a syncitial/toxic type =
appearance=20
with small&nbsp;irregular shaped refactile cells throughout the layer in =
primary=20
culture. The same phenomenon is present with continuous passage of =
fluid.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The primary cynomologous monkey kidney culture =
produces no=20
observable CPE and does not haemadsorb with guinea pig erythrocytes.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We have tested the culture fluid from VERO and HF =
cells as=20
well as the original sample for HSV, VZ, Adenovirus, Enterovirus, ORF, =
Molluscum=20
by PCR with no results. We are about to perform EM to determine what =
virus may=20
be present but any help in ID would be appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Please email me&nbsp; at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:david.fegredo at health.wa.gov.au">david.fegredo at health.wa.go=
v.au</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BEFC72.B4E17BA0--