Strain / variant

A.J.Cann nna at leicester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 02:40:50 EST 2001

In article <Pine.SGI.3.96.1010226120920.46483B-100000 at bionix>, Matt
Hicks <matth at biols.susx.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi People,
> Just wondered what you think the difference is (if any?) between a strain
> and a variant - as we have been discussing this and cannot agree....

These are rather imprecise terms which do not have a universally
accepted definition.  After all, we are still struggling with the
species concept in virology ...  ;-)

Dr Alan J. Cann  PhD,   Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
University of Leicester,  P.O. Box 138,  Medical Sciences Building,
University Road, Leicester LE1 9HN,  UK.

---