Japanese encephaltis virus

mulholl at supanet.com mulholl at supanet.com
Wed Jul 18 02:03:52 EST 2001

Dear Shailesh,
Japanese encephalitis virus is VERY hazardous, and should only be used in
catagory 3 containment (in UK at least). It has a death rate of up to 40% (a
worker using this virus would be vaccinated). It is not the sort of thing you
can buy commercially, except possibly from culture collections. They would
require a good deal of information before releasing such an organism. The very
fact that you are asking these questions would lead me to assume you are not
qualified to handle this virus.

Vince

>Hi Virologists,
>
>I would like to know if it is possible to get the >genetic material of
japanese encephalitis virus or >the virus itself commercially. or if anyone
>is ready to give with some kind of agreement.

---