Ebola outbreaks

Hainault hainault at mweb.co.za
Thu Nov 1 05:34:59 EST 2001

Hi,I've just read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Peston.Although I'm a novice and find it very absorbing stuff!
Just a few questions:After the Reston incident,has any new
strains of Ebola been discovered?
What is the risk for an airborne variant with the deathlyness of Ebola Zaire?
Has there been any recent outbreaks of Ebola in the world?
Can a visit to Kitum cave on Mount Elgon put one at high risk for Ebola infection?
Any other hot zones for Ebola?Was there ever an outbreak in South Africa?
Any clues on a natural host yet?
What is the purpose of viruses in the ecosystem?
Can a virus be considered a life form?
 Sorry if questions are boring.
Hope you find time to answer them,I'm sincerely interested.
Hainault
hainault at mweb.co.za