autoclave inactivation of viral contamination of media suppliments

TQPLlab at awinthrop.freeserve.co.uk TQPLlab at awinthrop.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 03:32:42 EST 2002

Dear Group,

I am seeking some advice regarding the ability of plant
viruses to survive autoclaving in a cycle typical for the
preparation of plant culture media.

Workers in the field of plant tissue culture often
autoclaves their media for minimum time periods, to
stop media break down and preserve gelling properties.
For example 10-15 minutes at 121 degrees C and 15-20psi.

I am concerned where media suppliments such as banana,
potato, tomato, coconut liquid endosperm, are used,  is there
a risk that viral infections will survice the autoclave process
and pose a future risk for plant material in-vitro? Much
manipulation and implantation involves 'damage' to
the plantlets as they are pushed into the media and clearly
would provide an entry route for viral pathogens.

Although conventional wisdom suggests infections such
as TMV cannot survive some autoclaving, data from viral control
practices suggests rigid or extended regimes of autoclaving
are necessary to control plant virus diseases.
I wonder why extended periods such as 30-40 minutes steam
autoclaving is suggested if 15 minutes is sufficient?
If 15 minutes is not sufficient... I can see a potential infection
route!

My area of interest would be TMV, CMV, PVX or other common
plant viruses that have a range of hosts across genera or
plant groups.

Does anyone know of studies that might help me find an
answer to my concerns.

Best regards
Alan L Winthrop
TQPLlab at awinthrop.freeserve.co.uk