student questions

Douglas G. Osborne dosborne at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 9 04:18:06 EST 2003

Hello my name is Grant Osborne, I am currently researching the EBOV for an
undergraduate evolutionary project and wanted to ask you some questions as part
of the project.
First why is the GP mostly used for mutation studies, is it because it causes
cytotoxicity?
Second, which has more affect on EBOV, natural selection or genetic drift? And
if natural selection has more affect, is it the mutations in the strain that
have been selected on that allow its' survival or something else, like
pleomorphisms?
That is about all the questions I have for now. I would be very glad to hear
back from you with answers. Hopefully my questions do not seem too vague. Thank
you.

---