[Virology] viral titre determination (calculation) by limiting dilution

Dexter Chun dexter81 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 14:59:49 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the basis behind the 'right' calculation for viral
titre (u/ml) based on serial dilution of viral supernatant on NIH 3T3 cells.
My transducing efficiency is assessed based on eGFP expression by
FACS.  Hence the graph is constructed using %eGFP v serial dilution fold.
I've been told to choose the point on the best linear part of the curve, *
intuitively* the midpoint of the straight portion to get my titre (u/ml).
Is this the right or best method?

What is the right way to go about the graphing?  By using all the data
points, I have a 'weird' curve. Is the viral titration meant to result in a
linear correlation theoretically?
a) do i remove the extreme point, and plot a linear curve based on remaining
ones
b) or is there some mathematical conversion of points OR the axes

Thanks.

Dexter