[Virology] who is sending me this?

THEMERCS from aol.com via virology%40net.bio.net (by THEMERCS from aol.com)
Mon Jul 16 19:20:08 EST 2007

Dear All,

I'm trying to write a detailed protocol for TCID50  determinations.  Some
of the consulted references define TCID50 as the  required dilution to
achieve 50% infection of the tested units, and therefore  the value is
given in terms of 10 elevated to a negative fraction (i.e.  10^-3.5/ml).
However, other papers use TCID50 as the number of virus  particles in a
sample required to infect 50% of the tested units (i.e.  10^3.5/ml). These
are values calculated either by the Karber method or the  Reed-Muench
method, and everybody seems to use different approaches.
I'll  appreciate very much if someone can help me define  TCID50.

Thanks,

Martha