[Virology] Chicken embryo inoculation

Patil, Amar via virology%40net.bio.net (by amar.patil from ag.state.nj.us)
Tue Oct 9 14:04:13 EST 2007

Dear Virologists,

I have a question for virologists working on influenza viruses. We are
inoculatiing 9 day old chicken embryos with clinical specimens collected
in BHI for diagnostic purpose. However, to me it seems that mortality
rate after 24 hours post inoculation is very high. >60% embryos die.
They die neither due to  presence of  virus nor contaminationg bacteria.
I am suspecting that either our inoculation technique is not good (i.e.
we are injuring embryo) or some toxic components are being inoculated
through clinical sample. It also might be antibiotic toxicity since we
treat clinical specimen with antibiotics to kill bacteria if any.

Please help me in troubleshooting.

Thanks