[Virology] RE: particle to pfu ratio

Randhawa, Parmjeet via virology%40net.bio.net (by randhawapa from upmc.edu)
Sat May 10 00:43:16 EST 2008

I think parvovirus is smaller than 5.2 kb, more like 2-3 kb. Virus
particles could also be quantitated by electron microscopy but that will
not distinguish viable from non-viable virions.

Parmjeet Randhawa, M.D.
Professor of Pathology,
Division of Transplant Pathology,
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Pathology,
E737 UPMC-Montefiore Hospital,
3459 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
Phone: 412 647 7646
Fax: 412 647 5237

-----Original Message-----
From: virology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:virology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Dunowska,
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 7:14 PM
To: virology from oat.bio.indiana.edu; virology from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Virology] RE: particle to pfu ratio

If you have a pure virus prep, maybe you could titrate it (to get PFU/mL
value), and then extract viral DNA and estimate the number of viral
particles based on the amount of viral DNA present, knowing that
parvoviruses have a single-stranded DNA genome about 5.2 kbp in size?
Just a thought...

Message: 1