[Virology] RE: particle to pfu ratio

Dunowska, Magda via virology%40net.bio.net (by M.Dunowska from massey.ac.nz)
Sun May 11 16:55:49 EST 2008

Hi everybody,
With respect to Parmjeet's email below: I got the 5.2 from a description in a veterinary virology book, but after your email I did check that info. So, parvovirus genomes are 5 kbp long according to the latest report on virus taxonomy (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ICTVdb/ICTVdB/00.050.1.01.htm) and the available full genome sequences of porcine parvovirus on GenBank are about this length (a link to a recent submission of a whole sequence of 5075 bp: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=9628826).

Also, I am not sure how accurate the EM would be for quantifying viral particles, as it is a pretty insensitive tool and one needs at least 10*6 particles/mL to be even able to see them under EM, but I would be very interested to know whether or not anybody out there have used it for this purpose?

Magda Dunowska, LW (vet), PhD
Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Infectious Diseases (Virology)
Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences
Te Kura Mâtauranga Kararehe
Massey University
Palmerston North
New Zealand

Phone : (06) 356-9099 ext 7571
Website : http://ivabs.massey.ac.nz

-----Original Message-----
From: Randhawa, Parmjeet [mailto:randhawapa from upmc.edu]
Sent: Saturday, 10 May 2008 5:43 p.m.
To: Dunowska, Magda; virology from oat.bio.indiana.edu; virology from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: [Virology] RE: particle to pfu ratio

I think parvovirus is smaller than 5.2 kb, more like 2-3 kb. Virus
particles could also be quantitated by electron microscopy but that will
not distinguish viable from non-viable virions.

Parmjeet Randhawa, M.D.
Professor of Pathology,
Division of Transplant Pathology,
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Pathology,
E737 UPMC-Montefiore Hospital,
3459 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
Phone: 412 647 7646
Fax: 412 647 5237