[Virology] Re: A virus kills?

adrish via virology%40net.bio.net (by adrishsen from gmail.com)
Thu Jan 21 03:36:58 EST 2010

On Jan 19, 9:20 am, IHHNV <artsanche... from gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am just starting to work on viruses. Somebody ask me if I know how
> an shrimp virus kills the shrimp. I was really surprised. I didn´t
> notice before. But... a virus kills? I mean... I understand that
> phages are able to kill bacteria... but an animal virus can kill the
> animal? Or it is just, as on HIV, that immune defenses are so low that
> oportunistic pathogens really kill the host? In case there is a known
> case of a killing virus... can some one let me know the molecular
> events directing the host dead? Also I will be very grateful if some
> one let me know published articles related to this topic....
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

One example would be highly pathogenic avian influenza virus that
kills the host by causing a combination of massive fluid accumulation
in the lungs and also inducing a severe cytokine 'storm' that causes
inflammation leading to death.
-Sen