NIH Consultants File

Irene Anne Eckstrand IAE at CU.NIH.GOV
Tue Dec 1 15:43:20 EST 1992

The question of how women can become more actively involved
in the review of research grants has come up on a couple of
occasions.  I asked Dr. Donna Dean, who oversees a number
of study sections here at NIH, if she had some specific
suggestions.  Attached is her response.  Please direct questions
to her telephone or e-mail address.

Irene Anne Eckstrand

-------------------------------

Irene Eckstrand of NIGMS forwarded your message regarding NIH's listing
of women and others who might be potential study section members.  We
have re-established the NIH Computerized Consultant File de novo, and
searches can be made on a number of variables, including gender.  We are
especially encouraging qualified women and minority scientists to be
included in the database.   With your Network, you can help spread the
information.  Individuals can request a consultant file candidate
information form from the NIH Consultant File, 7101 Wisconsin Avenue,
SUite 1125, Department 07, Bethesda, MD 20814-5228 (FAX (301)-718-8439).
Only individuals who complete the information form will be included in
the database.   This database is available to all NIH staff members,
particularly the scientific review administrators of the study sections.

 A much less efficient (and informal way) is to have cvs sent to me, as
 I oversee the sras who run the study sections in the biological
 sciences area.  I would then circulate the cvs desk to desk here.

Call/contact me if you have further questions.  I also hope to link up
with your iinformation database.

Donna J. Dean, Ph.D.
Chief, Biological Sciences Review Section
Division of Research Grants
WEstwood Building, Room 417
Bethesda, MD 20892     Phone (301)402-2690;   FAX  (301)402-3490
email:xjy at NIHCU (BITNET);    xjy at cu.nih.gov

My colleague who has been instrumental in the Consultant File, whom you
can also contact:
Jeanne Ketley, Ph.D.
Chief, Physiological Sciences Review Section
DRG, Westwood Bldg., Room 203
Phone (301)496-9403