Getting women to use computers

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Fri Dec 4 08:31:00 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec3.224639.19678 at news.columbia.edu>, dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Daniel Zabetakis) writes...

>   One problem that often comes to mind is how to get more female biologists
>interested in computers and networks.
>   I believe that biologists in general have a slight aversion to computers.
>That has been my experience. I also think that women in general have a not
>so slight aversion to computers. Putting those together, and you have a real
>problem for the net.
>
>   It seems to me that the male students here are much more likely to have
>interst and experience in computers. The females don't seem to have any
>interest until they need to send e-mail to someone, or have a gene they
>want to analyse; and very often they get a male member of the lab to do it
>for them.
>
>   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
>DanZ

Hi,
	I totally disagree with the above and don't think it has anything
to do with gender.  In my laboratory the opposite is true.  It is the women
rather than the men who are more comfortable with computers, especially the
UNIX-based SPARCstations, but this has nothing to do with gender.
	Maybe it has something to do with intellegence/interest/motivation/etc
in the case of these individuals who happen to be extremely bright and
mathematically gifted.  But gender as a factor? not in my experience.
Cheers......bruce