women and computers??

Daniel Zabetakis dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 7 14:12:34 EST 1992

In article <9212071831.AA13437 at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu> bioj294 at EMORYU1.CC.EMORY.EDU (nika) writes:

>  To provoke discussion, sure. Of course, there isn't much reliable data
>about computer use. Usenet is well.....
>
>	Would it not be an unfair observation that your
>perception of your environment (those "biologists" and
>women who come to you for assistance) is biased merely
>by the inherent nature of your job? (which I must assume
>would be advisory in some aspect?)

    Of course my perceptions are biased by my experience, but I don't see
what bearing it has on the question at hand.
    For the record, I am a graduate student, and I use and take a hand in the
administration of our department's computers.

> Might you concede
>that you are not in a position qualified to make such strong
>statements as you can not truly sample a representative
>population? Honestly, such a discussion holds very little
>substance beyond that of agitation.

   What strong statments? That  women use computers less than men? Or rather
that women use usenet (and bionet, probably) less than men? I don't see how
either of these is a strong statment, or even how they could be considered
agitation.
   I see the underrepresentation of women on usenet as a problem. I think it is
a problem that some women shy away from computers. Is this controversial? If you
think that either of the above statments is false, we can discuss it, but this
group isn't the correct place.

DanZ