% women computer users

Mary Polacco maryp at TEOSINTE.AGRON.MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Dec 8 16:07:24 EST 1992

Responding to shan_duncan at loris
I agree - the use% difference may reflect the gender distribution and
nothing more- This may not reflect initial interest in sciences, but
extra barriers/less encouragement presented to women during their
training.

It has been well- documented that in heavily male-populated sciences
(note the loss of the word "male-dominated" from my
vocabulary) that there is a massive attrition during the undergraduate years.
But it only gets worse when you look at (per a 1992 Science issue) rates of
unemployment (not including underemployment, also a major factor) are higher
for women than for men in all fields surveyed, with one notable exception -
computer sciences - So maybe if this network were directed at computer
scientists it would have better representation of women discussants?

In my department (biochemistry) there are mostly male faculty, with very
few women. Considering that some years ago, when I was a grad student
(in biochemistry), about 1/3 of my class-mates were women, and all other
things being equal (other schools with similar levels of women PhD graduates,
women and men are equally interested in academia,etc) one would expect more
than this.